We are absolutely thrilled to today announce the launch of the Australian Women in Wine Awards to acknowledge and reward the work of women in the Australian wine industry, and industry leaders who champion equality and fairness for all sexes in the workplace.
The awards, the first of their kind in Australia, offer four categories which will be judged by six members of an Advisory Board that is made up of some of the industry’s leading female talent.
The entry deadline for the Australian Women in Wine Awards is Tuesday October 6, 2015. Enter at womeninwineawards.com.au. The winners will be announced on Tuesday November 17.
“For decades we’ve been wishing and hoping to see a significant rise in gender diversity in the Australian wine industry,” said Jane Thomson, founder and Managing Director of The Fabulous Ladies’ Wine Society. “Unfortunately, wishing alone hasn’t worked. Current estimates put female participation at around 8 – 10%, and some areas – like viticulture – are actually in decline. The Australian wine industry needs positive female role models and leaders. With these awards we hope to highlight a few more of them.”
The Award Categories for 2015 are:
- Winemaker of the Year – sponsored by Wine Ark
- Viticulturist of the Year – sponsored by Wine Australia
- Owner / Operator of the Year – sponsored by Cellarhand
- Workplace Champion of Change – sponsored by Vinomofo
The Advisory Board
The diversity of the Advisory Board exemplifies the breadth of roles within the industry that women hold. Members include:
- Jane Thomson (Chair) – Founder & Managing Director of The Fabulous Ladies’ Wine Society
- Samantha Connew – Winemaker & owner of Stargazer Wines & Compass Wine Consulting
- Jeni Port – Wine Writer & current Wine Communicator of the Year 2014
- Corrina Wright – CEO & Winemaker, Oliver’s Taranga
- Toni Carlino – Wine Marketing, Independent Consultant
- Jenny Houghton – Viticulturist & Owner of Maygars Hill Vineyard
The regional nature of the wine industry has led the organisers to initiate a ‘virtual awards night’ (rather than a glittering gala night) in order to maximise the number of women who can be involved in this history making occasion. Each wine region is being supported to host their own gathering to celebrate the announcement on 17 November, and can register their event online via the awards website.
The Australian Women in Wine Awards would not be possible without the support of our individual award sponsors (as above) and partners – especially our Gold Partners: Wine Business Magazine, the Winemakers Federation of Australia and The Truffle Man.
The hashtag for online discussion of the awards is #AWIWA15
For further information & interviews please contact:
- Jane Thomson 0413 682 377 jane[at]fabulousladieswinesociety.com
- Corrina Wright 0412 815 235 corrina[at]oliverstaranga.com
- Samantha Connew 0408 173 335 samantha[at]stargazerwine.com.au