(Original recipe & photo from: www.thesummitvanuatu.com)
As I sit and write this I am sitting at the airport waiting for my flight to Vanuatu. Two weeks of sun, volcanos, scuba diving and lots of seafood – Here I come!!
So you don’t feel like you are missing out, this weeks recipe will bring a little bit of island life into your home.
It does sound like a bizzare combination but it really does work. The passion fruit makes for a fresh, tangy and tasty dressing.
It may surprise you to find that this salad uses beef and not fish. Beef is in fact is one of the largest exports of Vanuatu – I am told that the organic beef is to die for. The cows roam free on the little island. Now THAT is a wonderful life.
I promise that I will have a wonderful relaxing time and do some food research and bring back some exciting ideas.
For 4 people:
150g freshly shelled peanuts
3 big cucumbers
4 passion fruits
4 medium size beef steaks
½ bunch of mint
For the dressing: Olive oil and balsamic vinegar
1. Wash the cucumber, skin it, cut length ways and remove seeds, cut into 1 cm pieces and throw in a bowl with some salt and pepper.
2. Seed the passion fruit and chop the mint. Mix in the bowl with the cucumber using your hands to combine all the tastes.
3. Coat the salad with some olive oil and a few drops of balsamic vinegar.
4. Cut the steaks in fine strips and season.
5. Heat your pan on high heat and cook the steak strips for just a minute in order to leave the meat raw in the middle. Then throw in the peanuts.
7. Serve your salad in 4 bowls. Add the beef on top and drizzle with lime juice.