Love is in the air! Just in case you have been confused by retailers flogging multiple celebrations at once, not it is not Easter it is Valentines Day!
The celebration of love. I think I rather prefer the Finish interpretation of Valentines day “Ystävänpäivä”. For those of you who need it translated it means “Friend’s Day”. A day to celebrate your friends rather than just romance. It seems far more inclusive than just a day just for lovers.
So in true Finish tradition this year for Valentines Day we have invited over a couple of friends to share a meal, a drink and some laughs. For dessert I will be serving up Caramelised Peach with Sparkling Wine Jelly and Double Cream.
This recipe is a wonderful summer dessert. A fabulous one for dinner parties as you can do all the work before the guest arrive. Peaches are in season at the moment and if you are feeling a little cheeky try using the Moscato cream recipe from last months post. The only down side is that it uses a whole bottle of bubbles so I didn’t have any left over to sip on…so I had to pop the cork on another bottle!
- 750ml pink sparkling wine – Use your favourite pink sparkling as the flavour really does come through
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 3 teaspoons gelatine
- 3 large fresh peaches
- 1/4 cup caster sugar, extra
- 300ml Pure Double Cream
1. Heat 500ml sparkling wine and caster sugar in a small saucepan stirring until sugar dissolves, bring to a gentle boil for 1 minute
2. Remove from heat, sprinkle gelatine over the mixture and gently whisk until dissolved. Whisk in remaining sparkling wine and pour into 6 serving glasses. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours until set
3. Cut the cheeks off each peach and press cut surface firmly into extra caster sugar. Place sugar-side down in a hot non-stick frypan for 1-2 minutes until sugar is caramelized and golden. Cool for 5-10 minutes at room temperature before serving
4. Serve jellies topped with a peach cheek and a generous dollop of cream.